AYURVEDA and COVID 19 ATTACKS on Humanity – Some Measures to COMBAT the Counter of CORONA Virus through Ayurveda
By Prof. Anand Chaudhary, Head of the Department of Rasa Shastra and Bhaishjya Kalpana, Faculty of Ayurveda, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi: The strong roots of Indian culture and civilizations are of utmost importance for the globe from time immemorial. The present central government and all state governments are doing their best to combat spared of corona virus. On 24/03/2020, the World Health Organizations stated that the make and break of spread of Corona virus is totally depends on Indian response. Here, I may submit that how India can potentiate its war against spread of COVID 19 adopting measures narrated in Indian culture and civilizations especially in Ayurvedic literature which has been tested since thousands of years on the Indian soul and soil.
Novel Corona Virus (Covid-19) is a virus of large family of single-stranded RNA viruses. As per health advisories this new virus is very contagious which quickly spreads globally, causing thousands of deaths, infecting a considerable number every day. Authorities world over have declared it as Pandemic and taking action and issuing advisories to contain its spread and scientists world over are busy to find out its vaccine. Everybody is waiting eagerly for its remedy at the earliest.
If we go through the crux of the problem, this is the tilt of the nature to make the balance of the universe. When the minds and hence the practices of the inhabitants of this planet go on disturbing the natural rhythms of the earth, air, water and atmosphere and the threshold is crossed, the nature plays her role to restore balance by causing “Janapadodhvansa” i.e. Mass-destruction to compel us to observe natural laws in the form of do’s and don’ts if we are to survive on this planet. Each religion, culture, society and country in this world is well aware of this fact and Indian traditions and spiritual philosophy are rich enough to be practised to make unison of body with nature. In Ayurvedic system of medicine, we believe the dictum” Swasthasya Swasthya Rakshanam, Aturasya Vikara Prashamanam” i.e. to maintain the health status of the healthy and to cure the diseased.
This is “Vasanta Ritu” i.e. Spring Season which is from 19th February to 19th April this year. Flu like diseases are part of this season as there is “Kapha Vriddi” i.e. increased mucus in the body and in the universe also (Yatha Pinde Tatha Brahmande) and if this increased mucus is vitiated, the atmosphere in the body becomes suitable for micro-organisms to enter in the body, they adhere to host cells, invade the cells and colonize in the host tissues, and inflict damage there.
If we are observing the “Vasanta Ritu Charya” i.e. the do’s and don’ts of Spring season and maintaining the body immunity by proper nourishment and purification, we need not to worry because no matter how virulent any bacteria or virus may be, can not cause any harm to our body as the defense forces of powerful body very easily combat their challenge. Immuno-competence is ultimate condition of human body which protects us from infectious diseases.
According to the Ayurvedic concept every organism in this universe may it be virus, bacteria, fungi, helminths and others can survive at its native places only where they get their food and space to develop. Human body is not a place where these types of organisms can survive unless we by our unlawful health practices make suitable space for them to invade, colonize and cause damage to our body. We should not make our body suitable and friendly for micro-organisms for their stay and growth by observing the time-tested practices and precautions. Our immune system should be strong enough to nip this evil in the bud. At this point of time when the infection of Novel Corona Virus (Covid-19) is a great threat to the mankind, it is of value to take care of the following practices to prevent “Kapha Dusti” i.e. vitiation of mucus, formation of “Ama” i.e. undigested & vitiated sticky foods in body and to boost our mental and physical strength against such micro-organisms.
Strictly follow the directions and advisories issued by authorities from time to time and help government employees engaged in working for us in this crucial time and remain vigilant, don’t panic.
- Social distancing is ultimate to avoid communication and spread of infection. Observe traditional natural laws being practised since centuries as these are time tested to keep the mankind healthy and disease free. In this period of LOCK DOWN it much required.
- Maintain proper cleanliness – personal (mental & physical) and around. Observe proper day and night healthy routines. Medimix soap with all its variant of Neem /18 herbs should be used for hand wash as well as bathing.
- Proper sleep (Early to bed & early to rise). This will be highly appreciable if one is not wasting time on different kind of activities on social media up to late night and getting everything delayed. Remember the disturbed and delayed sleep decrease immunity power of human body. At the moment here is need of enhanced immune power to combat corona virus.
- Daily body massage and oilation of body orifices especially of nose (Nasya). As you enough time in this LOCK DOWN conditions to nourish your body which will ultimately enhance immunity of human body which is an urgent requirement of human body at the moment.
- Chewing of (Datun) i.e. sticks of medicinal plants for exercising and cleansing of teeth, mouth and naso-pharynx and then after brushing the teeth can be done twice morning and at bed time.
- Proper physical output in the form of three walks – morning, evening and after dinner. This should be in your room /apartment /kitchen garden/personal lawn as here is LOCK DOWN and one is not supposed to move out.
- “Dhyana” i.e. Meditation, “Pranayam” i.e. Extention of life force and “Yoga” i.e. Spiritual discipline for harmony of mind and body to unite with universe in the form of different positions are of value for mental and physical health.
- Take only well-cooked homely, seasonal foods and avoid sticky, greasy, fried, heavy and stale foods. Non-Vegetarian diet badly impact on physique & psyche & make body suitable for micro-organisms to develop in the body. All these may deteriorate immunity power of human body.
- Take foods well in time (dinner ideally by the Sun set} and consume them after chewing and making into paste. Over-eating and repeated heavy foods which you cannot digest shall vitiate your kapha and there shall be production of ama.
- Seasonal fruits and vegetables are good enough to meet our daily nutritional requirements. Citrus fruits and lemon in warm water is of great value to cleanse the body especially liver and provide a good quantity of natural Vitamin C.
- Cow’s milk boiled with Elaichi added with ½ tea spoon of Turmeric may be taken twice daily. 5 – 7 soaked Almonds may be chewed and taken with milk.
- Sips of warm water after every ½ hour during the day with lemon shall keep your mouth and digestive cleansing. Gargles (Kulla) after meals keep mouth clean.
- Proper and clean dress to avoid exposure to cold and infection. Proper use of spices in foods shall help in good digestion and avoids vitiation of mucus.
- Fresh and coarsely grounded are rich in volatile oils which are excellent to digest that food in which they are added and make body atmosphere unsuitable for micro-organisms adhere to host cells, invade the cells and colonize in the tissues of body.
- Keep Elaichi, Kalimirch, Dalchini, Laung or Mulethi in mouth at different intervals especially if you are in public. These are medicines with high volatile oils which shall not allow any organism to invade or develop in mouth, nasopharynx, lungs and stomach.
- “Dhoopan” i.e. fumigation with “Guggulu” Commiphora, “Hawan Samagri” Camphor or “Mushak Kapoor” may be used to keep atmosphere clean around.
- Enchantment of prayers (Mantra), recitation of spiritual verses as per different religious faiths shall boost us mentally.
- As far as possible, avoid entry of any infectant in your mouth or nose by observing all the possible precautions.
- If the infectants enter, it will not find any suitable atmosphere in the body to invade and colonize in the cells and tissues if there is no vitiation of Mucus “Kapha dusti” or undigested & vitiated sticky foods “Ama” in the body.
Boosted body immune response shall not allow any micro-organism to develop or do any wrong to your clean and powerful body.
- Applications of Ayurvedic Medicines as prophylactic Medicines-
The Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India had issued advisories for the medicines of AYUSH system to be taken as prophylactic medicines to boost Immunity power of individuals.
We may suggest all those ways of life and medicines which are indicated for the treatment of respiratory disorders in Ayurveda may work here to strengthen power of LUNGS.
As immune booster Ayurvedic Rasa –Rasayan are for better. There some formulations under patent and proprietary category which may serve same purpose.
Any Ayurvedic Medicines should be taken with proper consultation with Ayurvedic Physician only.
Ayurvedic physicians are requested to take care of non-confirmed cases of corona virus who are approaching them for treatment. But if a confirmed case is diagnosed hat must be immediately referred to designated quarantine centre /isolated wards as the case are.
- Nutrition which may enhance your Immunity to combat COVID 19-
- A) Fruits –Oranges/Sweet Lime, Pine apple, fresh beeries, papaya, Kivi, Tomato etc.
- B) Vegetables Carrots, Beets, Spinach, Cabbage, Broccoli
- C) Nuts –Almond, Walnuts
Think again and again about do’s and don’ts regarding your “Ahara” diet, “Nidra” sleep and “Brahmacharya” moral life as per your age, season, digestive capacity and your proneness to disease and amend them. Follow these suggestions to check the spread of COVID 19. Further, All Government DIRECTIONS should be followed by every CITIZEN all across Country. This way we may protect our body from the present deadly viral infection of Novel Corona Virus (COVID-19) and such other alike threats. If, this time our body naturally fights this disease, our system shall retain immunological memory of this threat for future also, just same to the effect of vaccine in our body.
Of course, this is the fact that adaptation of these measures of Indian Culture and civilizations represented in Ayurvedic Literature namely in Carak Samhita, Sushruta Samhita and Astang Hridaya will fulfill the call from World Health Organisation. This is true that all GLOBE is looking to India that how we are countering he attack of COVID 19.